What is eye strain? Eye strain is a common condition that occurs when your eyes get tired from intense use. This includes reading, working at the computer, driving for extended periods, and looking at something for a long time.
Eye strain can be annoying, but it’s rarely serious and goes away once you rest your eyes. You may not be able to change all of the factors that causes eye strain, but you can also take other steps to reduce your eye discomfort. However, in some cases, there are signs and symptoms that can indicate an underlying eye condition that needs treatment.
The symptoms of eye strain can lower your productivity. For example, if you stay awake long hours working, you can make the problem a lot worse. So it’s important to rest your eyes because sleep refreshes your eye with essential nutrients.
Here are the symptoms of eye strain:
- Watery or dry eyes
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurred or double vision
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Sore, tired, burning, or itching eyes
- Sore neck, back, or shoulders
- Feeling that you cannot keep your eyes open
One of the most common causes of eye strain is the extended use of computer and other digital devices. This is known as digital eyestrain or computer vision syndrome. People who work at computers and look at digital devices fora long time every day are at a greatest risk of eye strain.
There are several causes of eye strain. Common causes of eye strain include:
- Being fatigued or stressed
- Looking at digital device screens
- Straining to see in very dim light
- Reading without pausing to rest your eyes
- Driving long distances
- Being exposed to bright light or glare
- Activities involving extended focus
- Exposure to dry moving air from a fan, heating, or air-conditioning
About New Optical Palace
New Optical Palace is your Optician and Optometrist in the Kitchener and Waterloo Area. We offer eye exams for adults and children and a wide selection of prescription glasses for your prescription, contact lenses, and sunglasses.