Pink eye, also known as conjunctivitis, is a common childhood illness. Pink eye is caused by an adenovirus, which is a common respiratory virus.
Pink eye is an inflammation (redness and swelling) of the conjunctiva. The conjunctiva is the thin clear tissue that lies over the white part of the eye and lines the inside of the eyelid. So anything that triggers inflammation will cause these conjunctival blood vessels to dilate, resulting in red and bloodshot eyes.
Children get pink eye a lot. However, anyone can get pink eye. Pink eye is highly contagious, but it’s rarely serious. Pink eye typically goes away in 7 to 10 days without medical treatment.
What Causes Pink Eye?
There are several causes to pink eye which includes:
- An allergic reaction
- A reaction to eyedrops
Symptoms of Pink Eye
There are several symptoms of pink eye which includes:
- Itchy eyes
- Burning eye
- Blurred vision
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Swollen conjunctiva
- Green or white discharge from eye
- More tears than usual
- thick yellow discharge that cuts over the eyelashes
Preventing Pink Eye
There are several things you can do to prevent pink eye. Taking these precautions can significantly reduce your risk of getting pink eye. Here are the ways you can prevent pink eye:
- Never share personal items
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Avoid rubbing or touching your eyes
- Never share your color contact lenses with friends
- Wash your hands frequently
- Keep a hand disinfectant handy
- Frequently clean surfaces
- Ask your doctor how to minimize your symptoms if you suffer from seasonal allergies
About New Optical Palace
New Optical Palace is your Optician and Optometrist in the Kitchener and Waterloo Area. We offer eye exams for adults and children and a wide selection of prescription glasses for your prescription, contact lenses, and sunglasses.