LASIK or laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis is referred to as laser eye surgery or laser vision correction. LASIK is a type of refractive surgery used to treat myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and astigmatism. This surgery is performed by an ophthalmologist who uses a laser to reshape the cornea in order to enable light entering the eye to be properly focused onto the retina.
The procedure time for LASIK eye surgery is approximately 10 minutes per eye. LASIK eye surgery is pain free and results in improved vision without eyeglasses or contact lenses. However, not everyone is a suitable candidate for LASIK eye surgery. In order to determine if you’re a suitable candidate, your optometrist will perform a thorough diagnostic eye exam. In this exam, your optometrist will evaluate the moistness of your eyes, your refractive errors and pupil sizes, the shape and thickness of your cornea, and your general health and medical history.
What are the potential side effects of LASIK eye surgery? There are some patients that experience discomfort in the first 24 to 48 hours. There are also other side effects, although rare, which include glare, dry eyes, fluctuating vision, difficulty driving at night, and seeing halos around images.
Pros of LASIK Eye Surgery:
There are many pros of LASIK eye surgery. Here are the pros of LASIK eye surgery:
- No stitches or bandages are required
- Vision is corrected in as little as 24 hours
- There is very little pain due to the numbing drops used
- Approximately 96% of patients have their desired vision
- Adjustments can be made after LASIK to correct vision if your vision changes will you age
- Most suitable candidates have a dramatic reduction in eyeglass or contact lens dependence
Cons of LASIK Eye Surgery:
There are many cons of LASIK eye surgery. Here are the cons of LASIK eye surgery:
- LASIK eye surgery is complex. Rare problems may occur when the ophthalmologist creates the flap, which can permanently affect vision.
- LASIK eye surgery can rarely cause a loss of best vision.
About New Optical Palace
New Optical Palace is your Optician and Optometrist in the Kitchener and Waterloo Area. We offer eye exams for adults and children and a wide selection of prescription glasses for your prescription, contact lenses, and sunglasses.